June 29th, 2016
We buy life insurance policies for one reason: to protect our family’s financial future in the event of our death. We need to know that our loved ones will be taken care of after we’re gone, and life insurance policies are designed to provide that peace of mind. Unfortunately, some insurance companies are taking advantage of Nashville policyholders who have paid premiums for years. They do so by significantly increasing premium amounts out of the blue, leaving policyholders with one of three options:
- Cancel the policy.
- Pay the increased premiums for the exact same policy.
- Wipe out the accumulated funds.
None of these options allow you to provide for your family long-term, leaving you back at square one. Fortunately, there’s a fourth option: call a lawyer. At Ponce Law, we stand up to life insurance companies that think they can take advantage of Nashville policyholders with skyrocketing premiums. It’s called life insurance fraud, and we won’t let them get away with it.
If you’ve received notice that your universal life insurance premiums are going up, call our Nashville life insurance fraud lawyers today for a free consultation. You may be entitled to significant compensation for an insurance company’s wrongdoing, and we’ll fight to get it for you.
June 27th, 2016
If a pipe bursts at your home and starts flooding your basement, do you wait a few weeks to call a plumber? Of course not. The amount of damage a couple weeks of standing water would do to your home is unfathomable. The same is true with your injury claim. The longer you wait to call an attorney after your accident, the harder it may be to get the compensation you deserve. There are two main reasons for this:
- Evidence. Unless a death occurs, a car accident scene usually isn’t preserved for investigators to scrutinize. The goal of first responders and the police officers on scene is to get medical treatment for the injured and clear the road. You’d be amazed how quickly evidence can be lost in a car accident case. The sooner you give us a call, the sooner our investigative team can start preserving the necessary evidence to win your case.
- Insurance company. From the moment they are made aware of your accident, the insurance company may start building a case against you. Your accident could potentially cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on the severity, so it is within their best interests to start building a defense as quickly as possible. The longer you wait to give us a call, the greater a head start the insurance company will have.
The truth is, you can’t afford to wait to get the help you need after an accident. If you’ve been injured, give our Nashville car accident attorneys a call immediately for a free consultation. We’ll fully investigate your accident and start building your case immediately.
June 24th, 2016
Workers give a lot to their employers. By some estimates, the average American will spend 30% of their lives at work, assuming they don’t continue to work into retirement age. Because of that commitment, we expect our employers to treat us well, pay a fair wage, and take care of us if our job duties result in injury. Unfortunately, many Nashville workers are discovering it difficult to secure the benefits they deserve after a workplace accident.
In Tennessee, most employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance to protect their workers who are injured on the job. These benefits help injured workers get the medical treatment they need, as well as secure partial lost wages while they are out of work. Although no worker is going to get rich off of workers’ comp benefits, they can be the difference between a family making ends meet and suffering a financial crisis. However, securing benefits without an experienced lawyer on your side may prove to be difficult.
At Ponce Law, we help Nashville injured workers and their families get the workers’ compensation benefits they deserve. If you’ve been injured on the job, call our Nashville workers’ compensation attorneys for a free evaluation of your claim. We’re ready to help, so call today.
June 21st, 2016
There are a number of things every car accident victim should do immediately following a car wreck, but one trumps all others: seeking medical attention, even if you don’t think you’re injured. The adrenaline your body produces at the time of the accident can mask your pain, leading you to believe you’re okay. However, you still may have sustained serious injuries that could manifest themselves a few days down the road. Seeking medical treatment immediately can minimize the impact of these injuries and get you on the road to recovery more quickly.
It may seem obvious, but the extent of your injuries is the key to your personal injury claim. At Ponce Law, we take the necessary time with every client to fully evaluate your injuries before seeking compensation from the insurance company, and here’s why. You only get one shot at an injury claim. Once we successfully negotiate a settlement with the insurance company, that’s it. If you have further medical expenses down the road that we didn’t account for in our demand, you’ll be on your own to pay them. That’s why we not only take into account your current medical expenses, but also future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. And the key to that evaluation is you seeking medical attention as soon after your accident as possible.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, seek medical attention right away. Then give us a call. Our experienced Nashville car accident attorneys are ready to take on your case and fight for maximum compensation.
June 20th, 2016
One of the best things about Nashville is it’s a pedestrian-friendly city. Thanks to good sidewalks and beautifully scenic greenways, you can pretty much walk from one side of the city to the other. Walking is a great way to experience Nashville while keeping healthy at the same time. Unfortunately, careless drivers can turn a leisurely stroll through the city into a nightmare you may not wake up from.
In recent years, Nashville has been named one of the most dangerous cities for pedestrians with more than 210 pedestrian deaths since 2003. Drivers failing to yield to pedestrians due to negligence or distraction is one of the leading causes of pedestrian accidents, and we believe it needs to stop. At Ponce Law, we’re not legislators or politicians. We’re lawyers. We can’t change laws to protect pedestrians, but we can hold careless drivers accountable for the injuries they cause pedestrians and bikers on Nashville roads.
If you’ve been injured by a careless driver, call our experienced Nashville pedestrian accident lawyers today for a free consultation. We’ll investigate the cause of your accident and hold the responsible party accountable. If you deserve to be compensated for your injuries, we’ll fight to make sure you are.
June 17th, 2016
At Ponce Law, our number one priority is getting our clients maximum compensation for their injuries in the least amount of time. We do that by standing up to the insurance companies that expect accident victims to settle cheap. When the insurance company won’t play fair, we take the fight to the courtroom.
If that happens, you will more than likely be called to testify on your behalf. That testimony is crucial to the success of your case, so it’s important that you are properly prepared. Although we’ll thoroughly prep you before you take the stand, here are our top 3 tips to giving testimony in a personal injury case.
- Dress appropriately. It may seem inconsequential on the surface, but your appearance matters in the courtroom. Dress as if you were attending a job interview. Making a good impression on the jury is extremely important, as that first impression may weigh heavily in their decision.
- Tell the truth. The witness stand is no place to change or embellish the facts. Answer every question as truthfully as you can. If you don’t know the answer to a question, don’t guess. Simply say, “I don’t know” or “I can’t recall.” Giving false testimony is the quickest way to lose your case, so stick to the facts.
- Stay calm. The opposing attorney may attempt to get you emotionally fired up with his/her questions. Don’t fall for it. No matter what he/she asks or subtly implies, answer in a courteous and professional manner. Losing your temper on the witness stand is never a good thing.
Giving testimony in a personal injury case can be intimidating, but as long as you’re properly prepared, you’ll do fine. Remember, the truth is on your side.
June 15th, 2016
Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits exist to help disabled Americans make ends meet when they cannot work. Contrary to what some might think, they’re not a handout, nor will they make anyone rich. They’re designed to bridge the gap between a family making it and falling by the wayside. However, securing SSD benefits for your family can be more difficult than you might think.
Due to a complex and often confusing application process, more than two-thirds of initial Social Security Disability applications are denied. The good news is many people who appeal eventually secure benefits, especially if they have an experienced attorney on their side.
What difference does an attorney make? Experienced Social Security Disability attorneys, like those at Ponce Law, know the intricacies of the process and can help you avoid the common pitfalls that many applicants fall victim to. For instance, to secure benefits, you must prove that you’re unable to do ANY type of work, not just the work you did before your disability. Proving that degree of disability can be difficult without a lawyer.
Securing Social Security Disability benefits are too important to your family for you to try and go it alone. If you’ve been denied benefits, give us a call immediately for a free consultation. We’ll fully evaluate your claim, and work to secure the benefits you deserve.
June 13th, 2016
If you’ve lived in Nashville long enough, you know that we’re about more than country music and honky tonks. We’re a rich and vibrant community that celebrates diversity in our people, our cultures, and our lifestyles. For that reason, Nashville has become one of the premiere cities in the South to visit, to live, and to work. In fact, more than 100 people are moving to Nashville every single day. Although that steady influx nurtures a growing community, it can also create busier roads and highways. But that doesn’t have to mean more accidents.
Here are 5 tips for driving safely in Nashville traffic:
- Brake gradually. Stop and go traffic requires you to brake often. Try to anticipate when you’ll need to brake and ease into the stop slowly. Braking at the last moment not only puts you and other drivers at risk, it can put unnecessary wear on your car.
- Slow down. Excessive speeds and traffic don’t mix. Maintain an appropriate speed when driving in traffic to ensure the safety of your passengers and the other drivers on the road.
- Give space. You are only as fast as the car in front of you. Tailgating isn’t going to get you to your destination any faster. Give enough space to the person in front of you. It’ll give you more reaction time if they need to suddenly stop, as well as reduce stress to both of you.
- Pay attention. Things can change quickly in traffic. Pay close attention to what is going on around you. You never know when someone is going to pull out in front of you or slam on his/her brakes.
- Stay calm. Driving in traffic can be stressful. Settle in and accept the fact that it’s going to take a bit to get to your destination. Becoming frustrated does nothing but make your trip seem longer.
Even the safest drivers can’t always avoid an accident. If you’ve been injured, call our Nashville car accident attorneys for a free consultation.
June 10th, 2016
More than 55% of American workers are paid hourly. Of that number, many don’t have any paid leave, such as sick or vacation days, so if they don’t work, they don’t get paid. Getting injured on the job can cripple their financial situation, leaving them wondering how they’re going to make ends meet. In Tennessee, employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance. That insurance is intended to protect workers injured on the job. Unfortunately, securing the benefits you deserve after an on-the-job accident can be harder than you might think.
An experienced workers’ compensation attorney may be able to help. Along with securing compensation for your current medical expenses, a Ponce Law workers’ comp attorney can fight to secure money for future medical expenses, lost wages, and additional compensation if your injuries turn out to be permanent. In addition, we’ll fight to protect your job while you recover so it will be waiting for you should you chose to stay with your employer.
If you’ve been injured on the job, call our Nashville workers’ compensation attorneys today for a free evaluation of your claim. You can’t afford to let this injury compromise your family’s financial future. Don’t risk going to alone. Call us today.
June 8th, 2016
Nashville residents have several great places throughout the city to take their dogs. From Centennial Dog Park in the heart of downtown to the trails at Percy Warner, there are plenty of dog-friendly places owners can let their dogs get some energy out. Most of these places have leash rules in place to protect both the dog and the people they encounter. When these rules aren’t followed and a dog becomes aggressive, the results can be devastating.
Each year, there are hundreds of dog bite incidents in Tennessee, some of which from repeat offenders. Aggressive dogs can pose a significant danger to people of all ages, including children. At Ponce Law, we believe negligent owners who let their dogs roam free should be held liable for the injuries their dogs inflict. However, proving negligence can be tricky.
In Tennessee, a dog owner can be held liable for dog bite injuries if it can be proven that 1) their dog was running loose on public property and/or 2) the dog has known vicious tendencies. You need an experienced investigative team on your side that can scrutinize the evidence and prove the dog owner’s negligence led to your injuries.
If you or someone you love was attacked by a dog, give our Nashville dog bite attorneys a call immediately. We’ll work to hold the owner liable for your injuries so someone else doesn’t suffer the same misfortune.